Nielsen Scarborough offers insights for capitalizing on the market segment known as “Gift Splurgers,” described as 18-years and older, female, 17 percent more likely to be a Millennial, average annual household income of $68K, and 77 percent having used a credit card in the past three months. About half of those category also have at least one child, and they tend to purchase gift items for their pets.
For this group, the following approach is recommended:
- Show you have “hot” items for the season.
- Use celebrity endorsements and appearances.
- Carry a variety of children’s brands.
- Use digital video displays.
- Use mobile devices to alert shoppers to in-store offers and discounts.
- Offer samples over coupons.